Blog Description

I have wanted to write a book for a long time now. In fact, I have started a couple in the past. However, I am my own worse critic and I stopped writing them because I didn't like the way they were turning out. By writing A Page A Day blog I am hoping I will get some regular readers that will share their thoughts about the book with me. Please keep in mind my punctuation isn't the best, however, that is what an editor is for right? With that said.....let the writing begin.

Friday, July 22, 2011

Page 1

"We have thirty minutes to kill while your brother is at his guitar lesson, what do you wanna do? Lola asked her sixteen year old daughter.
"Go home!" the teen snapped.
"DaniMarie, I don't know why all of a sudden you are sportin such a shoddy attitude; it doesn't make sense for us to go home. By the time we get there we would have to turn around in the driveway and come back and pick up Seth." Lola explained
"Sport this" Dani said under her breath.
"Excuse me? What did you just say?"
"Nothin"
"That's what I thought. There is a second hand store down the street do you want to go and check it out?" Lola asked.
"Fine, whatever." The teen agreed
As they walked to the store Lola couldn't help but to wonder why her sweet child had grown horns over night. Once inside they went their own ways.
"Mom, check it out, I found an album" Lola heard her daughter call out. Walking away from some old clocks she had her eye on Lola walked over to where Dani was. "Oh sweetie" mom chuckled "this isn't an album it is a 45." she explained. "What's the difference" the now curious teen asked. Lola reached up and pulled an album off the shelf, "This is an album" she told her. Lola then found an old record player and showed her daughter how everything worked.
"Wow, pretty cool" Dani stated. She then saw something that was peeking out from behind the record players. It was shiny and sparked her interest. She reached in and carefully pulled out the beautiful eye catching item. It was a box, a wooden box. It was stained very dark almost like a cherry oak and it had one large gem in the center of golden swirls that were covered in glitter.
"Mom can I get this?" Dani asked.
"What is it?"
"A cool looking box that I can keep my earrings in."
"How much is it?"
"I don't know there isn't a price on it." Dani explained.
Both women walked over to the counter where a little old man was sitting working on what appeared to be an old radio.
"Excuse me sir, could you tell me how much you want for this? There isn't a price on it." Lola inquired.
"Oh boy, that is a very good question. I'm here just filling in for my sister while she went on vacation." the old man started to explain. "Do you feel it's fair of me to ask seven dollars?" he finished saying.
"Sure that sounds fair." Lola reached in her pocketbook and paid the man.
After leaving the second hand store Dani asked her mother if they had enough time to do something else. However, they had used up most of the thirty minutes they had to kill leaving enough time to walk back to the music store to pick up Seth.
"If you'd like, you can come with when I drop Seth off at next week's appointment and we can 'hang out' then." her mother told her.
"Whatever." Dani stated.
On the way home Seth popped up with a question. "Are we still going to the water park on Saturday?"
"Sweetie, you know we have to take each day as it comes. If my pain level is low, yes, we will still go. If not, then we will have to try another day.
"Fair enough." the ten year old agreed.
"Fair, how is that fair? If she's hurting we have to suffer? That's not fair." Dani said loudly.
"It's not her fault she gets bad days." Seth protected his mother.
"It's not our fault either." Dani told him.
"Kids, let's talk about this tomorrow. We have had a long day I want to get ready for bed." Lola told both kids.

1 comment:

  1. I want more!!! What's going to happen with the box? Need more info on the relationship between mom and daughter--daughter seems to resent mom's pain. Isn't that always the way!?????

    ReplyDelete